The History of Valentino's Cafe
In 1911, John Valentino came to America from Italy to work at the Hamilton Watch Factory. After 13 years, he had saved enough money to purchase the Red Roase grocery store on Rider Avenue. He then returned to Italy to marry his wife Anna. They returned to America and ran the business as a barber shop and grocery store, where Anna made and sold homemade Italian food. In 1937, they obtained a restaurant liquor license and turned the barber shop into a bar room, where Anna continued to maker her homemade spaghetti sauce.
After the death of John in 1972, his oldest son John and his wife Janet took over the day-to-day operation of the business. They opened six days a week, added breakfast and expanded the menu.
Janet passed away in 1996, but John continued the business with the help of his four daughters and son-in-law. John passed away in 2014.
Today, Valentino's Cafe is owned and operated by the family's 3rd and 4th generations. The family is planning to continue the business for future generations.